About the Senior Litigation Counsel Opening:
WLF is looking for a smart, capable Senior Litigation Counsel to join its litigation team. The attorney’s primary task will be to prepare and submit articulate and persuasive amicus curiae briefs, in federal courts of appeals and the Supreme Court, and to advance WLF’s free-market mission. WLF prides itself on the quality of its briefs, which aim to be concise, direct, and carefully crafted. WLF therefore seeks an attorney with excellent writing skills and a keen eye for detail.
Although the WLF litigation team enjoys a friendly and collaborative environment, the Senior Litigation Counsel will be expected to operate independently and with very minimal supervision. WLF litigators think deeply about important legal issues; they are scholarly in their approach to the law; they strive to submit briefs that bring a unique and valuable perspective to a case. An attorney who shares these attributes will thrive in this position.
The Senior Litigation Counsel will work primarily from WLF’s Washington, DC headquarters in the Dupont Circle/Embassy Row neighborhood. WLF’s telework policy permits full-time employees to work from home two days a week.
The position primarily entails:
- Collaborating with WLF attorneys and outside counsel to develop and execute WLF’s litigation strategy in important, often high-profile
- Drafting, with very little supervision, high-quality appellate amicus
- Identifying opportunities for WLF to further its free-market mission by filing an amicus brief, submitting regulatory comments, or serving as appellate counsel in an original litigation matter.
- Engaging in public advocacy and education by drafting and placing newspaper op-eds, blog posts, or other publications, and speaking to select audiences—including the media—as a representative of WLF.
- At least four (4) years of substantial experience crafting briefs in commercial and appellate litigation
- Interest in advancing broader legal and constitutional principles consistent with WLF mission
- Superior legal research and writing abilities
- Strong knowledge of constitutional law
- Some experience with federal regulatory law (e., FDA, EPA, FTC, or DOL)
- Familiarity with all applicable federal procedural rules (civil and appellate)
- Sophisticated exposure across multiple business-litigation practice areas
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position and Washington Legal Foundation’s mission, and your salary requirements
Candidates can email those materials to Glenn Lammi, WLF Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WLF is an equal-opportunity employer.